Sugar Land, TX News – Five Fort Bend ISD High School Graduates Among Additional College-Sponsored Merit Scholarship Winners
Sugar Land, TX News (July 17, 2014) - The National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) recently announced approximately 1,600 additional winners of 2014 National Merit Scholarships financed by colleges and universities, and among them are five Fort Bend ISD high school graduates.
FBISD’s 2014 Additional College-Sponsored Merit Scholarship Winners are:
- Alexander Aitken – Clements High School, National Merit University of Texas at Dallas Scholarship
- Michael LoPiccolo – Clements High School, National Merit University of Texas at Dallas Scholarship
- Tanner McKerlie – Clements High School, National Merit University of Nebraska – Lincoln Scholarship
- Alay Shah – Hightower High School, National Merit Baylor University Scholarship
- Olivia Wright – Austin High School, National Merit Texas A&M University Scholarship
These Merit Scholar designees join approximately 2,500 other college-sponsored award recipients who were announced in late May. Officials of each sponsor college selected their scholarship winners from among the finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program who will attend their institution. College-sponsored awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
This year, 181 colleges and universities are sponsoring about 4,100 Merit Scholarship awards. Sponsor colleges include 106 private and 75 public institutions located in 44 states and the District of Columbia. This final group of winners brings the number of 2014 National Merit Scholars to more than 7,600. These distinguished high school graduates will receive scholarships for undergraduate study worth a total of approximately $33 million. In addition to college-sponsored awards, two other types of National Merit Scholarships were offered—2,500 National Merit® $2500 Scholarships, for which all finalists competed, and more than 1,000 corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards for finalists who met criteria specified by their grantor organizations.